Wednesday, July 13, 2011

9 Week Update

Sorry it has been such a long time since my last update.  Logan is asleep in his bouncer right now and I'm waiting for the Papa John's delivery guy to arrive with dinner, so I figured this would be a good time to post an update :).

Things have been going pretty well lately.  I got cleared by my doctor at my 6-week checkup, so I can now start exercising slowly.  I'm actually looking forward to exercising a little bit... while I was very comfortable with my body during the pregnancy, I'm not so enthusiastic anymore.  I know it takes a while for everything to go back into place and whatnot, but I'm not used to having so much loose skin and I'd rather avoid having to answer the "how far along are you?" question.  Even though it's only been 9 weeks since I had a baby, I know that people are still critical of women's bodies afterward and I really just want to feel good about myself.

On that note, I tried on my pre-pregnancy jeans and they all fit in the legs and butt, but were a little tight in the waist.  I was still pretty psyched about them fitting, though :).  I was pretty terrified to try them on in the first place.

I started working again full-time on Thursday last week and it was a very emotional day.  Jason's sister is watching Logan until she goes off to college, which is great because I'm comfortable with her and I like the idea of Logan being at home instead of in a daycare.  Even though it was her watching him, though, that didn't keep me from breaking down when I passed him along to her so that I could leave in the morning.  Once I left, I was fine until I came home for lunch.  I had eaten and was about to leave again when I got a phonecall from Children's Healthcare of Atlanta to schedule his first surgery.  She told me it was scheduled for this Friday, July 15th and proceeded to give me instructions for Thursday when all of his pre-op will be taken care of.  I was ok when I got off the phone but as soon as I got in my car and started to call Jason, I lost it.  We've had a lot of time to prepare for the idea of surgery, but now that it's a reality, it's a whole new ballgame.  Logan is real now, not just something bumping around in my belly and I would do anything to take care of and protect him.  I just wish there was something I could do so that he wouldn't have to go through surgery :(.  The thought of it just breaks my heart.  *sigh*  Anyway, I should be ok until we get to the hospital, but I can almost guarantee I will fall apart when we have to take him in to his surgery.  God will be hearing a lot from me on Friday :).

Oh, I guess I should probably say what the surgery is for.  They're going to put a band on his pulmonary artery to restrict the bloodflow to the side of his heart that's pumping to his lungs.  Since his heart is basically backwards, the side of the heart that should be pumping to his body is pumping to his lungs and vice versa.  This means his lungs are getting too much blood.  Also, his heart is having to work harder to pump and his lungs are building up some fluid which is making him work harder to breathe.  He was put on a medication called Lasix a few weeks ago to take some of the fluid out of his lungs... I'm hoping that this surgery will make it so that he won't have to take it anymore but we'll see.  I'm not sure how long the surgery itself will take but he will be in the hospital for about a week following.  We'll be staying with him so visitors (and food) are welcome :).

Logan is doing really well right now, though.  He continues to put on weight like a champ and he is probably about 5lbs heavier than he was when he was born and about 4" longer.  He's growing like crazy!  He's already wearing his 3 month clothes and he even fit into a 6 month onesie this week.  His hair is growing in on the top of his head a little bit (peach fuzz) so he doesn't look so much like a little old man :).  His eyes are lightening to a pretty blue color and he has started to make lots of cute baby sounds.  He likes to stand when we hold him up and he's got some strong little legs!  He's finally starting to do more than just eat, sleep, poop, and cry :).  I love this little guy so much!

I'm still breastfeeding and it has its ups and downs.  I love that he's getting the nutrition he needs along with all the extras breastmilk add:  vitamins, immunity, etc.  On top of that, it's free and it keeps producing :).  Pumping at work has been difficult, mainly because I keep forgetting, but I don't think my supply has been affected by the couple of times I forgot to pump.

Well, this has been sitting here a couple of days unpublished, so I'm just going to go ahead and post it and hope I didn't leave anything out.  Logan's pre-op is tomorrow so we would appreciate more prayers.  I'll try to post another update soon :).

No comments:

Post a Comment