Thursday, April 21, 2011

38 Weeks

I can't believe another week has flown by.  It seems to be going faster and faster :).  This week has been a very busy one.  I had my 37 week checkup on Tuesday as well as another ultrasound.  My checkup went well and it was the first time the doctor actually examined me to see if my cervix has dilated or effaced at all.  He began by saying "let's see if we can touch your tonsils", lol.  It was a bit awkward, but I figure that for him it's business as usual.  Anyway, I'm not dilated or effaced at all.  He told me "first time babies don't just fall out" so it sounds like Logan still has some baking time left :).  He made sure to tell me when to call Kaiser (if my water breaks, if contractions are 5-7 minutes apart for at least an hour, etc.) and when to avoid calling.  I'm feeling pretty prepared right now, but that may change when labor actually begins :).

My ultrasound was immediately after the checkup and it went really well.  Logan was in a perfect position for the doctor so he was able to get some great views of his heart.  Everything is the same, but Logan still has a strong heartbeat and he's still very healthy.  He moves around a lot and is a pretty strong little guy!  His estimated weight right now is 6lbs 8oz, but there's a variance of 15oz, so he could be about a pound more or less.  Either way, he should be less than 8lbs when he's born, which I think I can handle :).  They gave me some pictures, but since he's so squished in there, you can't really see much.  They did get a pretty good one of his foot, though, which is kinda hard to miss ;).  The nurse didn't take a picture of his hair, but she showed me where he has a little bit on his head, which is exciting :).  I thought this would be my last ultrasound but they told me to come back in 2 weeks if I'm still pregnant.  Ugh.  I was hoping to be done with them.  While I do love to see Logan, I'm ready to see him *for real* instead of just on a screen.

Jason and I worked hard on the nursery this week and it's almost completely finished, yay!  The crib is ready, the nightstand and dresser are built (thanks to my awesome husband), the changing pad is attached to the dresser, the slipcover is on the recliner, the clothes are washed and put away, the wall decor is up, and everything else is in place except for the curtains.  I'm returning the ones we bought earlier and getting a different set that isn't so cheap :P.  The only thing left is to remove all of the boxes and packaging material from a corner of the room, but that's it :).  It's ready for a baby!!!  Once everything is in place (this weekend), I'll try to post a "nursery tour" video :).

Logan continues to drop in my pelvis and is sitting on some nerves.  My entire pelvis area as well as my left leg (all the way down to my foot) have been really achey the past few days because of this.  Everything I've read says it's normal, so I guess it's just one more thing you don't hear about until you're pregnant ;).  I should make a list of these things so that other girls can be forewarned :).

My parents fly in from Oregon in 2 weeks and I'm really excited to see them!  I know they're excited to meet another grandson, so I hope he cooperates and comes on time so that they'll have plenty of time to spend with him :).  I've started to prepare for their stay by making and freezing meals.  I've only made 1 so far, but I have about 3 more meals (casseroles, etc.) to make and freeze in the next week or so.  I'm trying to get as much done as I can now because Logan could be here anytime!  I'm also trying not to get burnt out, though, so it's a very delicate balance.

Well, I think that's about it for now, so here are the details for this week:
  • Congratulations! You've reached the final weeks in your pregnancy (if you haven't delivered already!) Your baby has probably reached his birth weight now. Most babies weigh somewhere between 6-8 pounds when they are born. Boys are usually longer and heavier than girls.
  • All his internal organs are ready to support him in the outside world. He has also developed healthy amounts of baby fat over the past week and his immune system is developing and will continue to develop after he is born. His fingernails and toenails have reached the end of his fingers and toes and might even need a trim after he is born!
  • Mom, how are you feeling? Have you noticed any electrical tingles in your legs and inside of your pelvis? Yes! These tingles are caused by your baby hitting nerves as he settles down into your pelvic area. Have you noticed any sharp, shooting pains? Yes yes! The baby is probably resting on your sciatic nerve. The best thing to do is try to get some rest and put your feet up!
I don't know if I can give you anymore help with guessing Logan's weight, so make sure you enter as many guesses as you want in our baby pool ASAP!!!  Time is running out :).  No, there isn't a huge prize other than beating everyone else who enters a guess... but sometimes that's better than a prize ;).  I'll post the winner as soon as I'm able to after he's born :).  Keep entering guesses! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment