The people present for the birth will be Alexis’s husband, Jason Snooks, and possibly her mom, Linda Kowing. (I might even be ok with my dad being in the room... still thinking about that one)
- Please do not offer pain medication – I plan on using alternative pain relief options. I will ask for pain medication if I need it.
- I would like to be out of bed as much as possible during labor (walking, etc.).
- I would prefer that the amniotic membrane (bag of waters) rupture naturally.
- I prefer to use natural methods to start labor (instead of induction).
- I would like the option to be in a position other than lying on my back when I give birth (squatting, lying on my side, etc.).
- I prefer to tear (or use perineal massage, etc.) rather than having an episiotomy.
- As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to push instinctively and to have no time limits on pushing.
- I would like my baby placed immediately skin-to-skin after delivery.
- The umbilical cord shall not be clamped or cut until the baby is breathing and pink, and until all pulsation in the cord has ceased.
- If the baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, I would like Jason to accompany the baby.
- I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible (within the first hour)
- I would like to meet with a Lactation Consultant as soon as possible after delivery.
- I want all procedures that are done and all medications that are given to my baby explained to me before they are carried out by the medical staff. If I disagree with the administration of an immunization or medication, I am willing to sign a formal waiver.
- I would like to have the baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
- We do plan on having our baby circumcised at Kaiser Permanente/Northside Hospital.