Monday, December 9, 2013

39 Weeks

Even though I'm almost 40 weeks, here's my 39 week update.  The Alpha Mom update for this week says this about baby:

Your Baby:
  • Is full-term, almost done, probably about a medium-well on the Burger Scale.
  • Is about 20 inches long and over seven pounds, maybe, depends, who knows.
I had my checkup on Monday with a doctor I've only seen one other time and the first thing she said was "has anyone told you that you have a big baby?"  I told her no but she wanted me to come back on Tuesday for an ultrasound just to make sure the baby isn't getting "too big".  I returned on Tuesday and the ultrasound only took about 15 minutes.  The nurse took some quick measurements of the baby's head, abdomen, leg, etc. and told me her estimated weight is 8lbs 2oz.  I asked what the variant was and she said 1 lb, so she's anywhere from 7 lbs 2 oz to 9 lbs 2 oz (Lord, help me).  I think she's probably in the 7s or 8s but we'll find out soon enough :).  The nurse said the baby is measuring perfectly for how far along I am.  She tried getting a good view of baby's face but things were pretty squished.  The nurse did tell me that Elise has chubby cheeks and I laughed.  When I told Jason his response was "shocking".  I guess she's going to have the Kowing cheeks too.  Lucky her! ;)

Not much new has happened this week.  I'm still bulbous, uncomfortable, and having lots of Braxton Hicks contractions.  I've never looked forward to being in excruciating pain so much in my life ;).  I'm still having issues with pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel in both hands, especially my right.  My right thumb (tip), middle and index fingers are numb because my hands are so swollen.  It's really annoying.  And my left hand is starting to randomly go numb too, especially when I try to grasp things.  When I talked to the doctor about it, she said she could refer me to an orthopedic practice to get a steroid shot in my wrist but when I called them to schedule an appointment (last Tuesday), they didn't have anything available until this Friday.  I didn't think it was worth it at the time, but maybe I should've just scheduled the appointment, just in case.  If/when I go into labor, I'm a little concerned about how I'm going to grasp anything to bear down when it's time to push. 

I'm still working full-time and everybody at work seems to be pretty understanding.  My boss especially knows not to mess with me (too much) because I can be a bit touchy at times.  I try to be as pleasant as I can but I still have my moments :). 

There are more things I can post but they would probably run into my week 40 update, so I guess I'll leave them out for now.  I did go eat the eggplant parmigiana at Scalini's Italian restaurant last night... there are over 300 women who have gone into labor within 48 hours of eating that so I figured I would give it a shot.  When I was pregnant with Logan, I made the recipe myself (they have it posted on their website) and it didn't work but people told me "you have to GO there!" so we're putting them to the test.  It has been about 26 hours, so there are only about 22 left... although I did eat leftovers for dinner tonight so does that extend the time out another 24 hours?  Hmmm... we'll see :).

Here are my weekly updates:
Contractions: I've been feeling them multiple times each day but nothing close together or consistent.
Cravings: Not craving anything.
Weight:  My total is up to 34 lbs
Swelling:  Hands, feet, ankles, etc.  The carpal tunnel is really aggravating and uncomfortable. 
Things to do: Install the infant car seat, put decals on baby room wall
Heartburn:  Zantac 2x daily
Stretching: Nothing new :)

My 40 week checkup is tomorrow and I'm sure the doctor will actually "check" me (up to his elbow, yikes).  I'm hoping I'm at least a little bit dilated & effaced but we'll see.  Will update soon with my 40 week post, just in case something happens :).

No comments:

Post a Comment