Friday, October 8, 2010

10 Weeks

**EDIT** I wanted to include the fruits from the other emails I received so that you can get a better picture of the size.  The baby was described as being the size of a kumquat, a prune, and a kiwi... apparently a very small kiwi, but it sounded better than 'prune' and I'm not very familiar with kumquats.  Next week's fruit seems to be a bit smaller than a kiwi, so I just wanted to put it into perspective for you :).**

Holy Snapnsnap!  I'm in the double digits now!  It's so exciting (and honestly kind-of scary) that since we first found out that I'm pregnant, the time has doubled.  Craziness!  Anyway, it was bound to happen, but it's yet another reality check for me :).  Also, I'm just starting my 3rd month of pregnancy, which means I'm *that much* closer to being in my 2nd trimester.  So exciting!  You can probably tell that I'm a little bit stoked about this... just a little ;).

Ok, moving on :).  I'm feeling pretty good. Still tired and nauseous at times, but it seems to be slowly subsiding.  Sleeping at night is another story.  I really want to get a full-body boppy pillow because my hips have been hurting a lot at night.  I've been using a regular pillow in-between my legs, but I've heard that the boppy pillows really help.  My appetite continues to fluctuate like crazy and my taste preferences change every 30 minutes.  A couple weeks ago, all I wanted to eat was Chick-fil-a's milkshakes... yum!  But yesterday I thought about them and it seriously grossed me out, which is pretty much blasphemy.  I seem to be eating a lot of bland foods again and I'm hoping to eat more 'normal' foods again soon.  I've been doing pretty good about eating lots of fruits, but vegetables just aren't very appealing to me now.  I have a baby belly showing, so I might as well enjoy the food and just let it grow ;).  I haven't had any belly pictures taken yet because I'm a little self-conscious about that, but once I get one taken, I'll post it here :).

This week I've gotten emails that describe the baby's size as a kiwi, kumquat, and prune.  My favorite is the kiwi, so I'll post those details below:
  • Your baby continues to grow steadily, gaining around half an inch in the last week! Now, about the size of a kiwi fruit, your baby has reached an important developmental milestone. Week 10 is the beginning of the fetal period, in which your baby's organs rapidly mature.
  • This week, his kidneys, liver, heart and intestines are forming tissue. Toenails and hair begin to grow and add detail to your baby's body. Your baby's limbs are now able to flex. His wrists can bend and his hands can meet over his heart. His legs may be long enough for his feet to meet in front of his body. He will even start swallowing and kicking this week, but don't expect to feel anything yet, those movements are still too little.
  • Your baby is also less susceptible to certain birth defects and congenital malformations by the time he has reached the fetal period.
Yay, my baby is growing so fast already!  I can't wait until I can finally feel it :).  I have my next doctor appointment in 2 weeks (the 21st), so hopefully she can tell me when we will find out the gender.  Then maybe Jason will come up with better names than "Flapjack" and "Captain Kirk" :P.

I'll be back next week with more baby fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment