Saturday, October 30, 2010

13 Weeks!

Hello, 2nd trimester!!!  I'm so excited that I'm 13 weeks along now :).  I've been feeling better and "more normal" the past few days.  I still feel exhausted a lot of days, but other than that I'm feeling pretty good :). 

I went to the doctor on Monday for my glucose screening and it wasn't bad at all.  They let me choose between lemon-lime or orange flavors.  I chose the lemon-lime and it tasted like a melted popsicle.  After I drank it, I had to wait an hour before they could take my blood.  While I was waiting, a nurse came in with a doppler and said I might as well hear the heartbeat since there was a lot of time to waste.  I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that sound :).  She said it sounded great and she also said she could hear the baby kicking around... how cool! :)  I finally got my blood taken and the result was great - I got a 105 and the normal range is 60-134.  If I had gotten 135 or over, I'd have to go back for a 3 hour test.  Bleh.  I have to do the test again at 28 weeks, but it's out of the way for now.  I also solidified our ultrasound date, which just happens to be the day before we fly to Oregon - December 20th.  It sounds like a long way off, but I only have a little over 7 weeks to wait and I'm sure it will come quickly.

I have a bit of a baby bump and I'm actually excited to see my stomach getting bigger ;).  My hips and lower back have been pretty achy most of the time, especially when I sit for hours at work.  They have also been hurting when I sleep at night, but I'm using a pillow between my legs to help alleviate the pain.  Jason stole it from me last night and said, "wow, this IS comfortable!"... ha :).  I'm still hoping for a full body pillow for my birthday, though.

One of the most exciting things that happened this week is that I felt the baby move!  It was just a tiny little tickle, but I know for a fact that it wasn't gas ;).  It was so cool to finally feel it.  I'm supposed to start feeling it more between weeks 14-16, so I'm hoping it will happen soon.  It's very reassuring, especially when I can't hear the heartbeat constantly.  Anyway, on to the growth details:
  • Your baby is now about the size of a peach, measuring just under 3 inches and weighing approximately a full ounce!
  • The most remarkable thing about week 13 is that his little body is finally starting to catch up to his head in size, as his head now only accounts for 1/3 of his total size. If you are having a girl, she will have more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries by week 13.
  • Her teeth are in place under her gums, waiting to come out during teething, which can start as early as three months or as late as twelve months. (Note: Some babies can even have one or two teeth showing when they are born!)
  • Veins and organs are visible through your baby's skin, which is still paper thin and transparent. Her intestines are forming villi, which aid in peristaltic movement and digestion, and her pancreas has even begun to secrete insulin!
I really hope our kid doesn't come out with a full set of teeth showing ;).  That would be intimidating :).  Since the baby is the size of a peach now, my uterus is the size of a small melon... holy cow!   I don't even want to think about how big it'll be when the baby's a watermelon.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about food.  I'm SOOOO looking forward to Thanksgiving.  My mouth waters whenever I think about turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie... mmmMMMMM!!!  This year I'll have an excuse to really eat :D. 

Anyway, I think that's all for this week.  I'm having trouble separating this week from previous ones in my head... I'll have to start making notes or something :).

No comments:

Post a Comment