Monday, October 4, 2010

Week 9

I'm sorry this is a few days late, but things have been keeping me busy :).  Today I'm about 9.5 weeks along and I'm feeling pretty good :).  I've been taking more walks and less naps and I've had a little more energy.  Of course, after I told someone last week that I was feeling more energetic, I could hardly keep my eyes open the next day.  I'm trying to take everything day-by-day.  If I'm tired, I take a nap; if I'm hungry, I eat a snack; if I have energy, I try to clean things up at home.  It's hard to tell how I'm going to feel each day so I try to listen to my body.

I had my first appointment on Friday the 24th and it went really well.  I had to do a bunch of tests and give about a gallon of blood, but it was all worth it because they all came out normal and we got to have the first ultrasound!  It was such a blessing to see the baby, the fluttering heart, and hearing it beat!!!  I almost started crying, partly because I was relieved to see the baby thriving and partly because it's just a beautiful miracle and I still don't understand how God makes it happen :).  It's amazing :).  Almost everyone has already seen the picture, but I'll post it here anyway:

Yay, it's baby Snooks!  The heart was beating 160 times per minute, which is great :).  The doctor measured the baby and said the it's growing on track.  It measured at 8 weeks, which is exactly how far along I was.  The due date is still May 6, 2011, so I guess we'll see how that goes :).  Now I'll post the information about the baby's growth:

  • Your new resident is nearly an inch long — about the size of a grape — and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form — as do her tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Your baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. Her eyes are fully formed, but her eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. She has tiny earlobes, and her mouth, nose, and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that your baby's basic physiology is in place, she's poised for rapid weight gain.
So far, I've been craving "American" food, such as cheeseburgers, fries, etc.  I guess the burgers aren't too bad (especially the homemade ones), but I need to be careful with the fries.  I haven't had any huge aversions, but I don't feel like eating a lot of stuff I used to.  I haven't been interested in sugary foods for the most part and I've been eating fruit instead (yay :)).

I guess that's all for now.  I could keep rambling, but I'll save some of it for my week 10 post :).  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment